SCHOLARSHIPS & RESOURCES
* Important Tip: Parents, do not fill out your child's scholarship applications. Scholarship committees will not consider an application filled out by anyone other than the student.
* Essay Writing Tip: When asked to write a short essay, stick to specific details and examples. Try to avoid vague general phrases and nonspecific wording.
After you apply to a college, make sure to check out the scholarships offered through that specific college. Prospective students can apply for multiple scholarship opportunities by just filling out one form on most colleges' websites. These scholarships range from need-based to merit-based scholarships. The links to a few local college financial aid sites can be found below. Check the college where you have been accepted for scholarships, but be advised deadlines are earlier for the institutional scholarships.
Missouri State University, West Plains: https://wp.missouristate.edu/finaid/scholarships.htm .
Arkansas State University, Mountain Home: https://asumh.edu/pages/main/392/asumh-application-and-information .
Ozark Technical College (OTC), Springfield: https://students.otc.edu/financialaid/scholarships/
Missouri State University, Springfield: https://www.missouristate.edu/financialaid/scholarships/
University of Missouri, Columbia: https://admissions.missouri.edu/scholarships/
Multiple resources can be found online. Some reputable scholarship search links can be found below:
Hagan Scholarship: Student must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher and at least 24 on the ACT. Work experience is required. FAFSA EFC (Expected Family Contribution) must be less than $6,500. Applications and guidelines are found online at https://haganscholarships.org/ . Deadline is November 15, 2019.
National Honor Society (NHS) Scholarship: Senior members of an active NHS chapter who are in good standing are eligible to apply for an NHS Scholarship. Deadline is December 6, 2019.
- NHS Members must create a student account before they can access the NHS Scholarship application.
- The NHS adviser must verify the student’s membership before the student can begin the application.
- Verified NHS members may start the NHS Scholarship application beginning on October 1.
- All applications require two recommendations, and certification by the NHS adviser in order to be considered complete. Incomplete applications are not evaluated.
John T. Belcher Scholarship: Only one nominee will be selected from GHS. The local school board will determine the nominee based on academic achievement, leadership abilities, and the quality of an essay on a topic related to public education. See Mrs. Donley for an application. The nominee will be voted on during the December board meeting. All application materials must be returned to the counselor’s office by December 6, 2019.
MU Missouri Land Grant: This is a new program offered through the University of Missouri. The Missouri Land Grant covers 100% of unmet need for tuition and fees for all Pell Grant eligible students. Basically, a student would only have to pay for books and room and board at Mizzou if this award is received. Students must meet MU admission requirements and submit the FAFSA to MU by February 1, 2020.